DEL BROWN TOURNAMENT RULES
- This is a flats and fly only Permit fishing tournament.
- Licensed guides may fish as anglers, anglers may guide the boat.
- The designation of angler and guide must be made prior to the first fishing day.
- Only the angler may touch the rod, reel or line while line is outside the boat. Exception: when boating or releasing the fish, guide may then touch line but no more than length of the rod from the hook. The line from only one rod may be in the water at any time.
- All fish must be boated, photographed with your own digital camera and/or cell phone camera and released alive. A poor quality photo, a partial fish photo, or no photo can completely disqualify a catch, at the discretion of the rules committee. (7/10)
- An IGFA measuring device and scoresheet will be provided on the first morning of fishing. There is no minimum length of fish.
- Fishing range is unlimited. All boats must leave from and return to tournament headquarters each day by water. No trailering.
- To ensure the safety of all participants, boats will leave from the north end of Perky Creek (7/21) at 7:30AM. Fishing may begin immediately. Lines out at 3:30PM. A fish hooked prior to 3:30PM may be caught after 3:30PM. Boats must return to the dock by 4:30PM unless a breakdown occurs in which the rules committee may grant an extension. (7/10)
- There will be no fishing before or after tournament hours.
- If you are reporting a catch please bring your DAILY CATCH FORM to the scorekeeper no later than 4:30PM each fishing day. Please have photos of the catch on the provided measuring device available. Scorekeeper will be located inside the South of the Seven restaurant.
- IGFA rules apply except where otherwise stated within these rules.
- Overall landing net length may not exceed 8 feet.
- Only traditional flies with a single hook are allowed.
- Maximum tippet strength is 20# as per manufacturer’s rating. Any brand of leader material may be used. Any length of leader may be fished.
- No chumming. No tipping the fly with scent or bait. There shall be no bait on board the vessel during the tournament.
- Fish must be cast to in water that is no deeper than eight feet. The fish must be on a flat or flat edge but not in a channel. No wreck fishing. Catching fish over natural structure is permitted as long as the natural structure is on a flat in less than eight feet of water.
- Wading is permitted.
- All protests must be submitted in written form to the tournament rules committee by 5:00PM on the day of fishing that the proposed infraction occurred.
- Ties shall be broken by total centimeters of permit caught. Further tie to be broken by last fish caught first. Bonefish category tie shall be broken by last fish caught first.
- Cell Phone Use: Using a cellphone, email or text message to communicate with another boat (either in or out of the tournament) is considered a violation of the rules if it is for the purpose of (or allows for) the acquisition of fishing related information. (7/16)
- The use of a drone is strictly prohibited by any tournament participant during the scheduled days of the tournament. (7/21)
- The Tournament Director reserves the right to refuse tournament entry to any prospective entrant with or without cause at his or her sole discretion.
- Bonefish may be targeted as an alternate species. Bonefish do not need to be measured.
- To qualify the bonefish release a photo must be taken of the angler with the bonefish. Please record the date and time fish was landed on Score Sheet and circle Bonefish.
- Each bonefish release will count as 100 points.
- This tournament relies on the honesty and integrity of its anglers and guides to remain one of the most prestigious fly fishing events in saltwater. Thank you all for your dedication to the sport!
2023 Rules Committee
Ivar Bolander, Capt. Will Benson, Scott Christian